Morocco’s Mehdi Benatia, who plays for Italian club Juventus, has been voted best Maghreb player in 2017 ahead of Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez and Moroccan player Hakim Ziyech, France Football magazine announced.
The weekly publication recalls the performances of the Moroccan center back who led his country to play the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
France football also recalled that Mehdi Benatia scored a crucial goal in the history of Moroccan football in Abidjan against Côte d’Ivoire (0-2), helping the team to get qualified for the 2018 World Cup.
The French magazine also hailed the shining performance of Hakim Ziyech both with his club Ajax Amsterdam and the Moroccan national team.
The 2017 ranking:
1. Mehdi Benatia (Juventus / Morocco).
2. Riyad Mahrez (Leicester / Algeria).
3. Hakim Ziyech (Ajax Amsterdam / Morocco).
4. Faouzi Ghoulam (Naples / Algeria).
5. Youssef Msakni (Lekhwyia / Tunisia).
6. Ali Maaaloul (Al-Ahly / Tunisia).
7. Wahbi Khazri (Rennes / Tunisia).
8. Nabil Dirar (Fenerbahce / Morocco).
9. Sofiane Hanni (Anderlecht / Algeria).